Italian Wine Essentials
Your gateway to the captivating world of Italian wines.
Italian Wine Essentials certification program introduces you to the key wine regions of Italy, allowing you to understand the culture, history and winemaking fundamentals behind 39 of the most influential Italian DOC's and DOCG’s.
Our immersive course design unfolds in three vibrant modules—Wines of Northern Italy, Central Italy and Southern Italy. Each module highlights the viticultural and vinification techniques behind the most important Italian wine styles you should know.
The comprehensive structure includes a 125-page study manual, interactive learning resources and expert instructors to guide you through a sensory adventure across Italy. The program is available in a flexible online format or via in-person classes through one of our global Approved Program Providers near you.
Italian Wine Essentials is more than a course; it's a prelude to a lifelong romance with Italian wines and a stepping-stone to the internationally revered Italian Wine Scholar® Certification Program.
From a comprehensive study manual to interactive learning resources, expert instruction and an engaging student community, every element is meticulously curated to foster a profound understanding and appreciation of Italian wine culture.
Shipped to your address, the beautifully designed 125-page, coursebook, rich with photographs & maps, contains all the information you need to know. Immediate access to the digital e-book is also provided upon registration.
Online Study Modules
Access high-quality interactive e-learning activities designed to enrich the study manual and support different learning styles.
Learn from the most notable names in the industry—seasoned wine professionals and educators accredited by the Wine Scholar Guild.
Network with the other students taking the Italian Wine Essentials, form a tasting group and build your wine network.
The course includes a 50-question multiple-choice exam covering all of the essential topics of the course.
Upon passing, receive your coveted Italian Wine Essentials certificate. Add this reputed credential to your LinkedIn profile and résumé or CV.
Frequently Asked Questions
• Inquisitive wine enthusiasts wanting to become more familiar with the intricacies of Italian wine
• Aspiring wine professionals
• Hospitality professionals new to the world of Italian wine
• Anyone wishing to become more knowledgeable about Italy and its wine and food culture
This engaging and informative course will enable you to:
• Acquire fundamental Italian wine knowledge in just weeks
• Refine your tasting skills
• Master the essential grapes and appellations of Italy’s major wine regions
• Navigate the seemingly complicated Italian wine classification system
• Be perfectly poised to continue your studies with the prestigious Italian Wine Scholar (IWS) Certification Program
All you need to enter the program is an interest in learning more about the wines of Italy!
By the end of the course students will be able to:
• Identify the location of the profiled appellations on a map of Italy
• Describe the style of each of the wines covered in the sessions
• Recall the main grape varieties associated with each wine covered in the sessions
• Understand how key environmental factors have influenced the style of the wines
• Recall vinification and aging techniques that contribute to the style of the wines
• Decrypt the meaning of key labelling terms
Italy is home to over 400 DOCs and DOCGs; IWS Prep introduces you to 39 of the most well-known appellations. Thirty-two primary appellations are covered in significant detail, with seven “detour” appellations included to round out the curriculum. Grape varieties, wine profiles and labelling terms are all explored. Each wine is presented within a regional and cultural context. Local landmarks and traditional cuisines are also highlighted.
This certification has a minimum requirement of 25 hours of study time, including between 6-8 hours spent in the classroom (classroom study format) or attending online lectures (online study format).
The number of total hours you spend will vary greatly based on your previous wine knowledge.
The exam is comprised of 50 multiple-choice questions and must be completed in 45 minutes, passing score is 60%. There is no wine tasting component to the exam.
Passing students will be awarded the Italian Wine Essentials certificate.
Those enrolled at one of WSG’s Approved Program Providers will be offered the opportunity to sit the exam at their school. Distance-learning students will be offered an individually proctored, online exam.