French Wine Essentials
Your gateway to the captivating world of French wines.
Unlock the secrets of French wine with the French Wine Essentials course. This intermediate-level certification introduces you to the key wine regions of France, allowing you to understand the culture, history and winemaking fundamentals behind France's most influential wine regions and styles.
This immersive, intermediate-level French wine course highlights the viticultural and vinification techniques behind the most important French wines.
The comprehensive structure includes a 100+ page study manual, interactive e-learning and support from expert instructors to guide you through an adventure across France. The program is available in a flexible online format or via in-person classes through one of our global Approved Program Providers near you.
French Wine Essentials is more than a course; it's a prelude to a lifelong romance with French wines and a stepping-stone to the internationally revered French Wine Scholar® Certification Program.
From a comprehensive study manual to interactive online modules, expert instruction and an engaging student community, every element is meticulously designed to foster a profound understanding and appreciation of French wine culture.
Shipped to your address, the beautifully designed coursebook, rich with photographs & maps, contains all the information you need to know. Immediate access to the digital e-book is also provided upon registration.
Online Study Modules
Access high-quality interactive e-learning activities designed to enrich the study manual and support different learning styles.
Learn from the most notable names in the industry — seasoned wine professionals and educators accredited by the Wine Scholar Guild.
Network with the other students taking the French Wine Essentials, form a tasting group and build your wine network.
The course includes a 50-question multiple-choice exam covering all of the essential topics in the course.
Upon passing, receive your well-deserved French Wine Essentials certificate. Add this reputed credential to your LinkedIn profile and résumé or CV.
Frequently Asked Questions
• Inquisitive wine enthusiasts wanting to become more familiar with the intricacies of French wine
• Aspiring wine professionals
• Hospitality professionals new to the world of French wine
• Anyone wishing to become more knowledgeable about France, and its wine and food culture
This engaging and informative course will enable you to:
• Acquire fundamental French wine knowledge in just weeks
• Refine your tasting skills
• Master the essential grapes and appellations of France’s major wine regions
• Navigate the seemingly complicated French wine appellation system
• Be perfectly confident to continue your studies with the prestigious French Wine Scholar (FWS) Certification Program
All you need to enter the program is an interest in learning more about the wines of France!
By the end of the course students will be able to:
• Identify the location of the profiled appellations on a map of France
• Describe the style of each of the wines covered in the session
• Recall the main grape varieties associated with each wine covered throughout the course
• Understand how key environmental factors influence the style of the wines
• Recall vinification and aging techniques that contribute to the style of the wines
• Decrypt the meaning of key labelling terms
The French Wine Essentials program covers the flagship wine regions of France as well as the main styles of wine you will find across the country. Grape varieties, wine profiles and labelling terms are all explored. Each wine is presented within a regional and cultural context. Local landmarks and traditional cuisines are also highlighted.
In addition to classroom instruction or live review webinars, your instructors recommend that you engage in an additional 15 hours of study (approximately five hours per chapter) before sitting the exam.
You are encouraged to expand your studying techniques beyond that of simply re-reading the course book. In order to assimilate knowledge and facilitate deeper understanding of key concepts try to engage in active learning techniques such as: note-taking, completing the online e-learning modules, explaining key concepts to others, filling in blank maps, flashcards and of course tasting!
Enrollment in this engaging and informative course includes an exam sit. The exam is comprised of 50 multiple-choice questions and must be completed in 45 minutes, passing score is 60%. Passing students will be awarded the IWS Prep Certificate. Those enrolled at one of WSG’s Approved Program Providers will be offered the opportunity to sit the exam at their school. Distance-learning students will be offered an individually proctored, online exam.