Spanish Wine Essentials
Your gateway to the captivating world of Spanish wines.
Uncover the secrets of Spanish winemaking and culture with Spanish Wine Essentials course. This intermediate-level certification introduces you to the key wine regions of Spain, allowing you to understand the culture, history and winemaking fundamentals behind 23 of the most influential Spanish DOs and DOCas.
Learn what makes Spanish wines so unique by diving into the viticultural and vinification techniques and grape varieties behind the most important Spanish wine styles. You will see Spanish wine through a cultural lens, being able to put it into context within history, culture, geography, geology and key grape varieties.
The comprehensive course structure includes a 90-page study manual, interactive learning resources and expert instructors to guide you through a sensory adventure across Spain. The program is available in a flexible online format or via in-person classes through one of our global Approved Program Providers near you.
Spanish Wine Essentials is more than a course; it's a prelude to a lifelong romance with Spanish wines and a stepping-stone to the internationally revered Spanish Wine Scholar® Certification Program.
Start your Spanish wine journey today.
From a comprehensive study manual to interactive online learning resources, expert instruction and an engaging student community, every element is meticulously curated to foster a profound understanding and appreciation of Spanish wine culture.
Shipped to your address, the beautifully designed 125-page coursebook, rich with photographs & maps, contains all the information you need to know. Immediate access to the digital e-book is also provided upon registration.
Online Study Modules
Access high-quality interactive e-learning activities designed to enrich the study manual and support different learning styles.
Learn from the most notable names in the industry—seasoned wine professionals and educators accredited by the Wine Scholar Guild.
NNetwork with the other students taking the Spanish Wine Essentials, form a tasting group, and build your wine network.
The course includes a 50-question multiple-choice exam covering all of the essential topics of the the course.
Upon passing, receive your coveted Spanish Wine Essentials certificate. Add this reputed credential to your LinkedIn profile and résumé or CV.
Frequently Asked Questions
• Inquisitive wine enthusiasts wanting to become more familiar with the intricacies of Spanish wine
• Aspiring wine professionals
• Hospitality professionals new to the world of Spanish wine
• Anyone wishing to become more knowledgeable about Spain and its wine and food culture
This engaging and informative course will enable you to:
• Acquire fundamental Spanish wine knowledge in just weeks
• Refine your tasting skills
• Master the essential grapes and appellations of Spain's major wine regions
• Navigate the seemingly complicated Spanish wine classification system
• Be perfectly poised to continue your studies with the prestigious Spanish Wine Scholar (SWS) certification
All you need to enter the program is an interest in learning more about the wines of Spain!
By the end of the course students will be able to:
• Identify the location of the profiled appellations on a map of Spain
• Describe the style of each of the wines covered in the session
• Recall the main grape varieties associated with each wine covered in the session
• Understand how key environmental factors have influenced the style of the wines
• Recall vinification and aging techniques that contribute to the style of the wines
• Decrypt the meaning of key labelling terms
Spain is home to over 130 DOs and DOCas. SWE introduces you to 23 of the most influential Spanish appellations. Grape varieties, wine profiles and labelling terms are all explored. Each wine is presented within a regional and cultural context. Local landmarks and traditional cuisines are also highlighted.
This certification has a minimum requirement of 25 hours of study time, including between 6-8 hours spent in the classroom (classroom study format) or attending online lectures (online study format). The number of total hours you spend will vary greatly based on your previous wine knowledge.
The exam is comprised of 50 multiple-choice questions and must be completed in 45 minutes, passing score is 60%. There is no wine tasting component to the exam.
Passing students will be awarded the Spanish Wine Essentials certificate. Those enrolled at one of WSG’s Approved Program Providers will be offered the opportunity to sit the exam at their school. Distance-learning students will be offered an individually proctored, online exam.